Who can apply?
To qualify as an Erasmus student the applicant must be enrolled at another higher education institution in one of the countries participating in the Erasmus+ Program. Erasmus exchanges can only take place provided that an agreement has been signed between the home institution and the relevant department of Central European University.
Please, note that admission for Erasmus studies at CEU is not automatic. Applicants are asked to submit an application package. Submitted applications are evaluated on the basis of the quality of the application, the applicant's academic strength as well as his/her knowledge of English.
Teaching at CEU is conducted exclusively in English and classes are discussion-based. Erasmus students are fully integrated with CEU’s degree-seeking students who have demonstrated in their applications proficiency of English. For this reason, we expect from Erasmus applicants a command of the English language comparable to that of our degree students (generally on Level C in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
We accept the following types of certificates of language proficiency from Erasmus applicants:
- Standardized English language test scores such as TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge etc.
- Certificate issued by the home institution with an explanation of the level of the certificate against the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
If your first language is English, you will be exempted from this requirement. You may also be exempted if:
- You have earned a Bachelor's or a Master's degree taught exclusively in English.
To be exempted from the English language proficiency requirement, you must include a written request as part of the application package. Decisions regarding exemptions are at the discretion of the department admissions committee and will be communicated to applicants after the first stage of the selection process.
CEU operates in a trimester system, where terms are as follows:
- Fall Term: September – December
- Winter Term: January – March
- Spring Term: April – June
For further information please see our Academic Calendar: https://www.ceu.edu/calendar
How to apply?
Step 1 – Nomination
Erasmus applicants first need to be nominated to CEU's Erasmus Office by the Erasmus coordinator of the sending university. Nomination deadlines are the following: April 15 - for Fall Term (September - December) and October 15 - for Winter Term (January - March), Spring Term (April - June)
We ask you to kindly send nominations by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the email please provide the following details:
- first and last name of the student as it appears in the passport
- student’s email address
- term/s student is nominated for
- official name of home university
- degree program and level of study at home university
- receiving CEU department
Step 2 – Application
Upon nomination, CEU invites Erasmus applicants to submit their application package by sending all below mentioned documents to the following email address: Buktazs@ceu.edu. Documents must be submitted in English language without any exceptions.
Required application documents:
- Application form
- Certificate of English language proficiency
- Learning Agreement
- Statement of purpose/motivation letter
- A letter of recommendation
- Transcripts of your latest degree studies
- Certificate of enrollment at the home institution
- Letter of institutional consent (to be issued by the home institution Erasmus Office in order to certify that the applicant meets all the eligibility criteria of the Erasmus+ Program)
Please submit your complete application by:
April 30 - for Fall Term (September - December)
October 31 - for Winter Term (January - March), Spring Term (April - June)
If you have further questions please contact CEU Erasmus Office at Erasmus@ceu.edu