Open Access (OA) Publishing
Commitment to Open Access to scholarly publications is at the center of CEU’s mission. In 2002 CEU made contributions to the development of the Budapest Declaration, which prepared the ground for the Berlin Declaration, which CEU signed.
Open Access is the practice of providing on-line access to scientific information that is free of charge to the end-user and is re-usable.
There are two main paths to open access to publications:
Self-archiving (“green”), when materials are uploaded to an on-line repository before, during or after publication. To facilitate this CEU established its Publication Repository.
Open access publishing (“gold”), where the article is published straightaway in open access mode.
The decision on whether or not to publish either by self-archiving or by providing full open access lies entirely with the funders. For example, all research funded or co-funded by Horizon 2020 or any other European public sources, including Hungarian, must be published this way.
H2020 and other guidelines
What is open Access? - foster open science
Infographic on H2020 Open Access
Guidelines on Open Access to Scientific Publications and Research Data in Horizon 2020
Guidelines on Data Management in Horizon 2020
European Commission Fact Sheet: Open Access in Horizon 2020
Where to find OA journals?
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ): Lists almost 10.000 OA journals
- SHERPA/RoMEO: lists publisher copyright and self-archiving policies. To see what publishers allow in terms of self-archiving, check the publisher or journal name in this directory. Listings also indicate whether or not the publisher has a "paid access" option with direct links to the specific publisher policies on paid access
- ROAD Directory of Open Access scholarly Resources: gives access to OA scholarly contents via a single access point. ROAD can be searched by country, subject, indexing/abstracting service etc.
- General search engines: OAIster and Google Scholar
- For a list of research funders' OA policies, consult SHERPA/Juliet.