Commitment to Open Access to scholarly publications is at the center of CEU’s mission. In 2002 CEU made contributions to the development of the Budapest Declaration, which prepared the ground for the Berlin Declaration, which CEU signed.
Open Access is the practice of providing on-line access to scientific information that is free of charge to the end-user and is re-usable.
There are two main paths to open access to publications:
Self-archiving (“green”), when materials are uploaded to an on-line repository before, during or after publication. To facilitate this CEU established its Publication Repository.
Open access publishing (“gold”), where the article is published straightaway in open access mode.
The decision on whether or not to publish either by self-archiving or by providing full open access lies entirely with the funders. For example, all research funded or co-funded by Horizon 2020 or any other European public sources, including Hungarian, must be published this way.
CEU support to open access
- CEU Library Open Access (OA) Publishing Agreements
Publishing support for CEU authors via CEU Library Open Access (OA) Publishing Agreements. See the details of our current "Read and Publish" library agreements that provide access to thousands of full-text journals as well as waivers of article processing waivers (APCs). Current: Cambridge, Springer, Taylor & Francis, and Wiley publishers. A 2021 agreement for Sage is under contract to provide 20% discount for APCs.
- CEU Open Access Fund
The CEU Open Access Fund was established to support widespread readership of the research results of CEU faculty. This serves to increase the impact of CEU scholarship and encourage broad public access for those researchers at other institutions that could otherwise not afford access.
The OA Fund supplements CEU Library publisher agreements that include waivers for article processing charges (APCs) and extends opportunities to other publishing venues and publication types.
OA in H2020 an Horizon Europe
European Open Access scholarly publishing platform
Horizon Europe: What is required?
Open Access Publication obligations in H2020
Open Access Publication obligations in Horizon Europe
What is open Access? - foster open science
Infographic on H2020 Open Access
Guidelines on Open Access to Scientific Publications and Research Data in Horizon 2020
Guidelines on Data Management in Horizon 2020
Fact Sheet: Open Access in Horizon 2020
CEU policies and database
CEU Policy of OA
CEU Publications Database and Repository
European University Association Open Access Checklist for Universities
Where to find OA journals?
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ): Lists almost 10.000 OA journals
- SHERPA/RoMEO: lists publisher copyright and self-archiving policies. To see what publishers allow in terms of self-archiving, check the publisher or journal name in this directory. Listings also indicate whether or not the publisher has a "paid access" option with direct links to the specific publisher policies on paid access
- ROAD Directory of Open Access scholarly Resources: gives access to OA scholarly contents via a single access point. ROAD can be searched by country, subject, indexing/abstracting service etc.
- General search engines: OAIster and Google Scholar
- For a list of research funders' OA policies, consult SHERPA/Juliet