European Cloud Initiative
The European Commission presented how it intends to give Europe a lead in the data-driven economy by enabling cloud-based services and world-class infrastructures for industry, scientists and public services.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
- A new European Open Science Cloud will offer Europe's 1.7 million researchers and 70 million science and technology professionals a virtual environment to store, share and re-use the large volumes of information generated by the big data revolution.
- This will be underpinned by the European Data Infrastructure, deploying the high-bandwidth networks and super-computer capacity necessary to effectively access and process large datasets stored in the cloud.
- Build a single market for the Internet of Things: with the right standards for interoperability, and open cross-sector platforms for IoT devices and services to connect seamlessly, and scale-up, anywhere in the EU.
Subscribe to their newsletters.
WHAT SHOULD YOU KEEP AN EYE ON?
- Over the coming 5 years, the Commission will put forward proposals to meet the €4.7 billion investment need to integrate and consolidate data infrastructure. These proposals will bring together EU and other sources, including Member State and private investments.
- By 2017, all scientific data produced by projects under the €77 billion within the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme will become open by default to ensure that the scientific community can re-use the enormous amount of data they generate.
HOW CAN YOU GET MORE INFORMATION?
- Press release on Digitising European industry
- Press release on European Cloud Initiative
- Digitising European Industry - Q&A
- Communication: Digitising European Industry
- Communication: European Cloud Initiative
- Communication: ICT Standardisation Priorities for the Digital Single Market
- Communication: EU eGovernment Action Plan 2016-2020
- Staff working document: European High-Performance Computing strategy
- Staff working document on Quantum Technologies
- Staff Working Document - Advancing the Internet of Things in Europe
- Brochure on Digitising European Industry
- Infographic on Digitising European Industry
- Infographic on European Cloud Initiative
- Map overview of Digitising European Industry Initiatives across Europe
- Background documents